View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Yep, thats quite good cooling.
Just be carefull Mike you dont crack the sensor. You should be looking at a 10 to 15 minute change to max cooling to prevent thermal stress.

With that sort of temp, you could dispose of the darks....

Once the camera starts to warm up, you may find it will drop a little, as the heat dissapation efficiency decreases as the body and heat sink absorb the heat.
Bit like running an engine for 5 minutes when cold and running the engine 5 minutes when hot. More heat and harder to dissipate when hotter.
But you now why the costs are so high for these cameras. Thats why you have one in your hands..

Theo
Aparently Kodak claim the KAI11002 will not suffer thermal stress with rapid cooling and heating and I can even turn the camera off with the chip at -35C aparently? I don't do that though and usually warm it up to zero before tiurning off.

While the frames are indeed clean for a KAI11002 they still need darks at -35C, I haven't tried taking the chip below -35C really but on a cold night in Newcastle -55 or -60C would be quite acheivable, must try and see if it does anything?

Mike