View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
You missed my point I think
I personally use an osc camera because of my limited time for image acquisition and the crap weather Melbourne serves up. No time to acquire 4 times the time to acquire an image with different filters, what takes me hours would take me weeks with a mono camera.
Nik (and Chris), I have to chime in and say that I really don't believe this to be the case. I think imaging time for colour images is roughly equal (perhaps even quicker with mono), especially when the Luminance layer is well developed. A good set of filters (even my basic ZWO ones) are parfocal, or close enough to parfocal that it doesnt matter for 99% of people.

I'm not saying this because I'm team mono and want everyone on my team, but to let people know that this is a non-issue. The way it goes (if I am imaging a galaxy from the backyard) is I focus in Lum, I set an imaging routine in APT and press go and walk inside binge watch something on tv. I almost always set the routine to run vertically, ie, switch filters each sub (which is less than 1 second), so even if clouds come over an hour or two in, i still have a complete dataset to play with. This also negates the differing seeing as the targets moves through RA, metnioned by Chris below.