View Single Post
Old 16-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Evan,

That enhancement is fantastic. Great job. I had a go at them and couldn't do nearly that well. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you did?

regards

Joe
Hi Joe, happy to describe the process. Sorry it's taken me a little while to come back to you.

Below are 5 images of the key steps in the processing that I did. The bulk of the work was done in Photoshop, and for bits and pieces I used the Astronomy Tools Actions Set by Noel Carboni. The other software I used was Fitswork4 & Google Nik. Note - I have no affiliation with any software provider, just a happy end user

The first image is the stitch (I merged the 2 images using mspaint, then used Fitswork4 to remove the horizontal banding). The 2nd, 3rd and 4th images were enhanced using light curves and LAB/Soft light layers in Photoshop. The biggest change is between images 4 & 5. This improvement was achieved by running "Enhance DSO and reduce Stars" and I also used the "Increase Contrast" action. Finally I used the Google Nik collection, specifically Color Efex Pro 4 to draw out some extra detail in a new layer and then merged this into the final image.

Cheers, Evan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eta_Merge_001.jpg)
115.6 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (Eta_Merge_002.jpg)
128.7 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (Eta_Merge_003.jpg)
109.7 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (Eta_Merge_004.jpg)
111.3 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (Eta_Merge_005.jpg)
91.4 KB7 views