View Single Post
Old 19-07-2021, 05:18 PM
Malewithatail (Dick)

My first radio telescope.

Many years ago I acquired a 10 foot dish, designed and constructed a feed point, modified an old Pye ranger TV set (all valve) by retuning the sound IF strip to get max gain from the 5 stages (It was a fringe area set), connected it to the feed point, and was startled to hear the sun when I manually rotated it across the suns disk. That thrill has never left. Unfortunately, when we bugged out from Albion Park some 18 years ago, a 10 foot diameter dish was a little too big for the removalists to cope with !
With a piletier effect cooled feed, cooled to as close to absolute zero as possible, some very interesting work can indeed be done with a 1 meter or less diameter ex satellite dish. Be aware that most of the gain in a satellite system is in the LNB, or low noise block converter, the receiver is just a tunable IF stage and has a poor noise figure, as the satellites are quite powerful transmitters.
Indeed, Ham operators have been bouncing signals off the moon for decades, and are now doing the same with Venus and Mars as well. The technology gap between amateur's and professionals is getting smaller all the time.
Have a go, you can use a SDR or software defined radio dongle (TV usb stick), on the pc to do the tuning, and a standard LNB, with solid state Pielter cooling modules to better its noise figure.

Oh by the way Alex, gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks mate !