View Single Post
Old 22-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Imme (Jon)

I bought an observatory....seriously I did!

Hi guys and girls, I'm new on here and have been introduced to the forum by a couple members who visited my place last week.
I've been doing a bit of camera based stuff (no scope) and have got absolutely hooked, soon to purchase some extra gear for deeper space shots........but guessing you opened this post for the 'bought an observatory' bit.....not my life story!

So what's it about....I purchased a property recently that I've since discovered was once known as the Macedon Ranges Observatory (google it and you'll find some old info about the place and some shots taken by a few international visitors).
I'm just out of Kyneton (just over an hour from Melb) nicely nestled behind the Cobaw Ranges and well out of any light pollution arcs......I've also got a 9m x 6m shed with a roof that rolls off.....seriously, the whole roof rolls off on rails. Also on site I have a number of outdoor concrete slabs that can be powered if required (all pre marked with south celestial pole direction). One of the members who visited my place is an old family friend and I won't dob him in but the shots he and another member took were really impressive....well I thought they were!

I'm hoping to get some feedback from members on whether there's any interest in setting my observatory up as a commercial venture of sorts. A few ideas thrown around to date include fixed polar aligned mounts, overnight powered scope site rental, overnight camping, etc.......there may even be an option to enter an agreement for observatory shed access where a scope could be set up on an ongoing basis.

Love to hear your thoughts people.

Whether I go the commercial option or not I look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing my learning experience with you (and getting as much advice as possible!)