View Single Post
Old 25-09-2017, 05:31 PM
HenryNZ

This is a very interesting thread. Thank you.
May I ask for some suggestions please? I have been imaging with a 6" RC reduced to about 1000 mm with a reducer. With my atik 460 the pixel scale is about right for my seeing (0.9 arc sec per px). However I have recently acquired a refractor which has only slightly shorter focal length so I feel that it is now redundant and I would like to take this opportunity to upgrade it to something with longer FL so I can image galaxies that are even smaller. I am thinking about a 8" RC with a flattener will give 1600mm at 0.6 arc sec per px, or shall i jump straight to a 10" for 0.46 arc sec per px? Would that be way too oversampled? I guess with the 10" I have the option to use a reducer to bring it to 1600 mm focal length but at a faster speed, but the jump in cost is quite substantial esp as the 8" carbon tube is on special at the moment.

Ps. I don't like imaging with my edgehd because the few times I tried it it dewed up so quickly and mirror flop was a bit of a pain. It will cost me almost as much to upgrade the focuser to something decent than to buy a new 8" Rc OTA and move the moonlite from my 6" to 8". I will likely keep it for visual or planetary only or to sell it.