View Single Post
Old 18-09-2015, 06:25 PM
gregbradley

Well you are lucky and I would not take that for granted as normal or usual. Its not.

By the way I can see you need to adjust your camera for tilt. The top right is nice and sharp but the top left the stars are quite a bit larger.

The bottom 2 corners are showing coma so there is significant tilt going on.

First step is to work out where those corners of the image are on your camera.

I used a dim torch and did a focus exposure. I lit up the top half and watched where that appeared on the computer image. In my case the top and bottom of the image was inverted. Then I did the same left and right. Again for my scope left and right were inverted compared to the computer image.

So now you know what corner of the camera corresponds to which corner of the image. Now you can start packing it out.

Then you focus say the bottom right of that image until its sharper. Note does the focus have to go in or out. That tells you how to pack it out. If it has to go in then you need to pack out the other side.. If it has to go out you pack out that side. Keep taking test focus images until you get all 4 corners the same and top and bottom stars, left and right sides show sharp tight star images.

I have found sometimes misshapen stars are easy to mistake as guiding errors when its non squareness of the camera. A lot of systems have some tilt and lesser model CCD cameras may not have well levelled sensors.

Greg.