View Single Post
Old 28-04-2022, 02:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think baffles are a good idea but also to add a dew tube like extension that is also baffled..I have done this to a couple of scopes although not running any at the moment as they all wore out..the dogs eat my first one..only paper and flour construct with structural paint. It goes beyond the scope (2.5 feet extention) and I believe they made a marked improvement but I made no tests to establish such or to quantify the effect..but I would say this..study the Hubble Space Telescope and note just how what I suggest appears on it...baffled way past the secondary position...I suspect there may be some merit in such an approach given that it is used by Hubble.

We don't notice the star light..just little dots..mmm yes that touch everything ...the more of the star light from the side you can restrict the better in my view...draw a diagram tracing light both with and without such a baffled extention tube..Folk with Newts dont seem to worry and I suspect that comes from their general contruction and yet in refractors you find baffles as part of the expected furniture...I don't know if it was right or wrong but I painted all the inside with flat black paint then sprinkled saw dust, let that dry and did that again...the problem is I did no before and after tests and me believing it was better may be simply be confirmation bias sort of thing..but I do think the difference was there and most noticeable.
Alex