View Single Post
Old 26-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Angry HELP ME PLEASE: Raw files are doing my head in!

Hi All,

I'm becoming desperate now, this is frustrating me no end....

After setting up on Saturday night (after the whole day without clouds) I had to spend from 8:30am to 12:00am watching clouds slowly drift over my house.....grrrrr.....

Finally, it cleared so I turned the camera to M104 and then to M20 and got some 30 sec and up to 5 minute subs.....then the camera battery died, then the scope power tank died....but that's not the problem....

My RAW files seem to LOOK OK in DPP, but when I stack them in DSS as RAW or with Registax as TIFF, all I end up with is a washed out version which looks worse than a single sub....???? and it has no colour!

Nothing I seem to change in DSS like debayering or AHD or drizzle etc etc etc seems to help. I stretch the histogram and change the levels and curves and all I seem to get is a horribly noisy vignetted blob in the middle.......

Ive tried CS3, Startools, Registax, Nebulosity and have even resorted to surfing for instructions on what to do, to no avail.....

I must be horribly off the mark, considering I have sort of kinda OK processed an M42 by myself as RAW and my first three Astrophotos were in JPG with horrible coma and only 4.5 mins exposure....I have captured almost 30 mins of M20 Trifid (5 minute subs at ISO 400) and its WORSE than the 4.5 min effort.....

Its enough to make me want to throw my hands up and give it all away....

Is it the unmodded DSLR, the noise, or just the idiot behind the keyboard?

I have posted a smaller JPG version of one 5 minute sub as well as the stacked result so you can see what I mean....

Can anyone please point me to a tried and true "middle of the road" set of instructions that I can follow, with what I have so I can get some results without having to waste hours getting nowhere????

Please?

Hope someone can help me

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M20IISTiff.JPG)
177.6 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (m20IISstacked.jpg)
196.2 KB47 views