View Single Post
Old 17-09-2021, 04:40 PM
gregbradley

Hi David,

I recently damaged a USB 2.0 port on my mount by accidentally tripping on a cable.

I found a good You Tube video on how to replace it. I bought a new soldering iron, some USB 2.0 vertical ports (most are horizontal this one was standing up). I bought some USB ports (I have quite a few if you want one, they are hard to find, ebay has them).

I removed the circuit board from the mount making marks where plugs had to go in a certain orientation.

I then desoldered the remains of the old port and cleaned up the 4 little metal holes in the circuit board plus the 2 side holes which take the tabs that hold the port in.. You heat the hole until the solder melts then ream it out clean using a pointed toothpick. Repeat until clean.

Then test fit the new port and make sure it fits. I then soldered the new port in with the fine soldering iron I got from Jaycar with fine wire solder wire plus some flux to make the solder take.

Took about half an hour and it works just like new.

I can probably find the you tube video that showed how to do it if you want.

I did replace a broken usb 2.0 port once before and messed it up by going too hard in removing the solder. I had to get a replacement circuit board which wasn't that expensive really. This time I had a fine soldering iron with a temperature control knob and I used a solder remover tool, like a little manual suction pump.

If this all sounds a bit daunting then its best to get a local electronics guy to do it as they use soldering irons all the time I imagine.

Greg.