View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 09:08 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todo43 View Post
Thanks Martin,

I have been getting 5min subs which are great so I will be able to do that. Have just received a ZWO EAF so I will be able to get many hours on the horsehead without needing to get up and refocus.

Should I dither every frame? I have found that dithering every 3 frames works pretty well. I haven't had any walking noise at all and my darks seem to subtract any hot pixels extremely well.

I have been looking into a reducer and am thinking of the Bintel 0.8 reducer for short telescopes but am doubtful of the quality. I also have a flattener already installed. If I got a reducer, would I use both the flattener and reducer at the same time or would I only be able to use one of them at the one time? 0.8 reducer would get me down to 480mm focal length and f/5.3 so a decent reduction in f ratio.
Thanks
Lachlan
I dither each sub as it only requires a settle time of 15 sec. Dithering every 3rd or 4th sub is a waist of time IMO
Walking noise occurs when your fixed pattern noise has frame shift over time due to poor polar alignment
If you get your PA under an arc minute and dither each sub , you eliminate both problems
Also sorry can’t help you with flatteners and reducers , I only image with Newts

Cheers
Martin