View Single Post
Old 25-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by meellor View Post
I'll say I'm definitely set on a 1600MM/163M now after your help. Realised after doing more searches the microlens issue was really only popping up on the same targets for people (horsehead, etc). It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make for the sake of hugely increased sensitivity and ease of use.

Thanks again for the advice!
No worries!

Look, in most cases it's not an issue, but it does rear its ugly head if there's a bright star in FOV, so it's good to be aware of it before you spend your hard earned $$$. For an example, see attached. This is a crop at 1:1 of 322x322 out of 4656x3520. The full image includes the Horsehead and Flame nebulae, as seen with my Esprit 100.

Regarding sensitivity...that's a harder term to define. The Panasonic sensor in the 1600/163 has lower quantum efficiency (QE) than the 183, but that alone cannot defeat the larger pixels of the 1600. The same is (of course) true of sensors with still larger pixels, but there's a trade-off between resolution and signal collection in an image - and there's no "perfect" balance point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CurseofAlnitak.jpg)
26.7 KB155 views