View Single Post
Old 23-09-2021, 02:46 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
I am sure a lot of my viewing buddies think I am totally nuts.
Nuts??...nah, one can never have enough scopes....

Quote:
That has got to be your next goal to acquire some nice large aperture scopes to enjoy
Oh I would love one and it's a 24" F4 that I think would satisfy me

Quote:
I reckon the 100 remote acres trumps any other achievements - it would be the pinnacle and golden dream for any amateur astronomer to have such an amazing place to view through. I would love something similar and then the wife brings me back down to Earth about the viability.
I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would come into possession of such a property/location, it's truly humbling, exciting and even a little daunting, all at once..like I've been given a once in a few 1000 lifetimes, chance, so don't let it go to waste or worse fugg it up! I recall when we arrived at the very first and only open house inspection (along with dozens of other hopeful purchasers), my wife got out of the car, walked around a bit, then came over to me and with out me saying a single word, said "Yeah, OK, you can have it" she then proceeded to film a 360 panorama with her I-Phone and when she got around to me in the panning said on camera "So? do I get a massage when I get home?" to which I replied "Yep..." remember we had been looking for the right place for about 4 years!

Quote:
Haha yah for sure, definitely sounds like a plan. It would be amazing scope viewing experience under your pristine skies. Which scopes do you like using at your place?
I use a 12" F4.9 GOTO Skywatcher flex tube Dobsonian. The views are really great but given how good they are just makes me long for some real aperture

Quote:
I am in the process of working on a saving for a 22inch binoscope as well but this is a longer term goal.
Of course you are! ...talk about having dreams! I like it! I viewed through Mark Suchtings 10" (or perhaps 12"..I can't recall which) binocular scope at IISAC 2007 and the views were amazing, felt more like I was looking through a traditional single eye 18"-20" Dob but with a 3D effect.

Mike