View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
No worries Jeff, nice to see your effort on this one too. I think we're a dying breed, still using 20th century technology! 😄 It's good to show those contemplating getting into the hobby on a tight budget that you don't have to buy a $1000+ astro camera to make a start . Sure, the results are better but you'll still get results with the DSLR. Interesting, your shot is from more than 3X the data that I had, so I often wonder if there is a limit to the benefits of long integration times on some objects.
As Peter said, there is no definitive answer but SN ratio does play a factor as well as processing skills. Maybe if I learnt to use Pixinsight or similar I could pull more out of the data, as it is I do very little processing on the TIFF file out of DSS, just brightness, contrast and some colour saturation. I did have an image I took a few years ago of only 2 hours total exposure, can't find it atm to compare but will be illuminating (sic) when I do to see if there is a noticeable difference.
What us basic level imagers capture now would have been top shelf 25 years ago, plenty of long term imagers on here that can attest to that .