View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Garonious (Gary)

General Intro & Hello to those who may know me

Hi Astronomers; just joined
I thought I would give a quick background
Although I have had little practical experience with amateur-astronomy/telescopes, I’ve had a little to do with astronomy, relating more to the development/engineering side, and primarily radio-astronomy. As follows:
Bachelor of Science in Physics/Astrophysics at Macquarie University: 2000-2003
Did volunteer work for the monthly (?) Macquarie Astronomy night: 2002-2003
Correlator Operator and Data Quality Analyst at Australia Telescope National Facility, Marsfield: 2003-2007; got to visit Parkes a couple of times, including a week’s "observing" there
Bachelor of Electrical Engineering at University of Sydney: 2010-2014
Project/Thesis for Electrical Engineering: Developed a Field-Programmable Gate Array based design, for part of the radio-telescope Correlator, for Molonglo Observatory Synthesis Telescope; it worked in the simulation, but was never written onto an FPGA, or tested, in the field.
Internship at Molonglo Observatory Synthesis Telescope: 2014-2015 (12 weeks)
Started a Doctor of Philosophy research Degree, under Professor Peter Tuthill at Sydney Institute for Astronomy: 2015-2016 (1.5 years). It was in relatively new field, known as Astrophotonics. Spent a few days at Siding Spring Observatory.
Unfortunately I was struggling with health issues, and finally withdrew from the PhD; very disappointed.

I have largely lost contact with the astronomy community since. Hello to anyone out-there who may know me!!!
I now perform design, construction, repairs, maintenance, and modification of primarily valve-based guitar amplifiers, for a business I started in 2008. Unfortunately work is scarce and pays little-to-nothing.

Regards, Gary