View Single Post
Old 26-02-2024, 05:00 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I've only recently dipped the toe into imaging with a DSLR and have only finished a handful of images. I've made plenty of mistakes and some of them too many times. However I've had no problems with focus (except for nights when the seeing was too poor to get an acceptable focus). I use 'BackyardEOS' - there is also 'BackyardNikon' - and I find it works great. It uses live view to focus. You click on a star and the FWHM of the star is shown. You can then operate the focus control of the lens from the computer while watching the FWHM value change. If the seeing is good I can have focus in a minute or two. If the seeing is poor you will see the FWHM swing up and down without you doing anything. I wait for a period of better seeing, adjust, wait next good seeing, readjust etc until happy. The software also handles all other aspects of camera control for imaging but does not control the telescope.

There may be other packages which do the same job and maybe do it better but after a dozen or so outings I'm happy with this software. (And, sadly, I'm not being paid for this plug.)