View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
breammaster (Wey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Hi Wey and welcome to IIS!!
Firstly, to start of with use the 25mm eyepiece. You will find the 10mm will hardly get any use!
M42 (the Great Orion Nebula) is the obvious starting point as it is actually a naked eye object even under suburban skies. I saw it very clearly in Wantirna a few weeks ago. NGC2070 ( the Tarantula nebula) is another great target, not usually vis to naked eye so you have to star hop.

BTW you will not see any colour, your colour receptors in your eye simply are sensitive enough to see the colours that you see in images. To demonstrate this, even outside in bright moonlight, you will not usually see colour, everything appears in shades of grey, and most DSOs are much fainter than moonlight!

Cheers
Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm Nice to meet you

Yes I'll work with just the 25 mm for now. I know nothing about the constellations really. I've been cheating and using starmap and stellarium. I really do need to know these constellations though. The main one I nkow is Orion. Are there any tips or guides to star hopping?

So what is it like when you finally see these faint shades of grey? I'm really intrigued to see my first DSO. Do they often get mistaken for clouds? Or are they much more obvious than a cloud would look.