View Single Post
Old 20-07-2021, 08:56 PM
middy

Asteroid (1493)Sigrid occultation of TYC 6849-01006-1

Yesterday, after reading the 'Occultation observations of C/2014 UN271 Bernardinelli-Bernstein' thread over on the Astronomy and Amateur Science section my interest was piqued. So, after a few mouse clicks on Google I was down the rabbit hole of Asteroid Occultations. After installing the OccultWatcher app I found that an occultation was happening that evening from my location giving me 6 hours lead time. "No worries, I'll give it a crack", I thought.

Equipment:
8" F6 Newt with the ZWO ASI290MC camera.

I didn't have enough time to research best exposure times etc., so I just went with 350ms exposures with a Gain of 550.

So without further ado, here is the link to my capture of asteroid (1493)Sigrid occulting the star TYC 6849-01006-1. The video shows the event. Watch the stars near the centre for the one being occulted. The JPG is a stack of all the images taken. I ended up with 1440 images over a 6 minute period so why not stack them to see how many stars appear with 1440 x 350 ms exposures. Quite a few apparently.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkelT5umKabLhLAW...WdtDw?e=wOO7zJ

Now that I have had time to do a bit more research, next time I'll shoot video instead of individual images and I'll aim for 10 fps if possible. SharpCap can insert the timestamp into the video, so I may even be able to get some useful data next time.