Thread: 10" F4 build
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2012, 06:26 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Hi Brent,

yes I noticed the side sealant, but did you use spacers while it cured? else won't it tend to pull the mirror sideways?

I found this sealant that works well on glass and aluminium
http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass
specs mention it doesn't shrink while curing. But does mention its not suitable for roofs and gutters as it will cause corrosion. should be fine for Al.
Nup, no spacers, the velcro held it solid. I really didn't need the side supports I reckoned but was just playing safe.

If it will cause corrosion on gutters and roofs which are galvanised then it may not be great for alum either. Silastic cures by absorbing atmospheric moisture using acetic acid as a hygroscopic medium. Alum is not keen on Alkali's ( Try it with NaOH, Caustic Soda and see !! ) but it ain't great with acids either. Galvanising is zinc plate on steel and acids and alkalis attack zinc ( think the old batteries ) thus exposing the steel underneath to rust.

The sealant version cures differently, not sure how but my Aquarium fish appreciate the fact that it is a neutral ph when I fix their tank joins. Hence the sealant version.