View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the suggestion. yours is a work of art and I still haven't ruled it out. it all depends on the weight of my upper and lower sections and where my pivot point ends up. it'll depend a lot on choice of materials.
That's the big bonus with Rolf's design. You put the central cage as near as you can to the balance point. Minimises the need for extra weight to balance things elsewhere. The mirror is always the single heaviest components. My truss length ratios 5:3.8, upper vs lower reflect that. My added weight is only about 300 gms at present for DOB balance and on the mount I use the long dovetail (300mm) and slide it till the scope is nearly balanced. A bit of weight bias in one direction keeps the drive slightly loaded for best accuracy.

I'll have a go at Rolf's wire spider one day, when my guitar finally packs up. Just looks and works so cool. Another advantage with my rotator system, I can just pop the whole UTA off and work on it on the bench, or build a new option. Might do that with a mounted camera at focus, no diag. Must add that to the projects list ....

Hmm, love these build discussions, always find new ideas to play with