View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 01:38 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Hi Raymo,
My beginner level understanding is that if the Hubble palate is used the lagoon will indeed look blue in the centre. In this case I did not recolour the filter signals as I was using an OSC with my narrowband filters
Hi Chris. Not necessarily. I took a picture last year of the Lagoon using the 5D IV last year without filters, just broadband. The centre is blue, mainly because a stock 5D IV doesn't pick up much hydrogen alpha.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...85&postcount=5
At the top of that same thread is an image with an OSC with a duoband filter.
So I guess the point is, there is no "natural". We tend to define natural as mimicking the human eye, which a DSLR would be the closest, but it's still not natural or a universal law. Human eyes are incredibly insensitive to a broad spectrum, so this is where the artistic license comes into it that you mention.

If you have a camera that can capture more hydrogen, then the centre becomes less blue and more red (not as red as the edges) because there's not only Oxygen there, but also a lot of Hydrogen. You can process that away by focussing on the Oxygen. There's no right or wrong