View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 AM
anj026
Plyscope

Thanks for the positive feedback. I will try to answer your questions.

Dennis
Marine plywood has much greater dimensional stability than straight timber of the same given dimensions. Look for British Standard BS1088 or Australian Standard AS2272. These standards will ensure there are no internal voids in the plywood and the adhesive used is water resistant. All exposed surfaces should be sealed with paint or varnish to minimise moisture absorption.

[1ponders]
The WO synta focuser is great and I recommend it totally. When I got mine it was only available in single speed. WO have since released a 2 speed upgrade kit but I don't think it is needed on a long focal ratio. Fine focus becomes more critical with shorter focal ratios. The focuser is rotatable and adjustable for feel and the quick release finder bracket works well.

mercedes-sl1970
The mount is machined out solid of brass stock to 130mm OD. The altitude shaft is about 30mm stainless steel. I had access to a metal lathe and bench drill that could handle a 30mm bit. A qualified machinist would cringe at my methods but I achieved my goal of smooth motions and no slop. Like the rest of the telescope it is not perfect but is an acceptable compromise and a work in progress!

Hope this helps
regards