View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 04:16 PM
tornado33

My deepest Antennae, and others.

last evening say chilly temperatures and an unusually good night sky. The Antennae Galaxies were well placed for observing. I positioned the scope for observing west of the meridian, moved it as far east till the tube end rested against the pier, somewhat east of the meridian then waited till the object moved into view, turned on the drive, framed it to fit in NGC 4027 as well, then started.

Did a small pic with the 2 main objects right together.

Full size here https://www.astrobin.com/nm42v2/?nc=user

The EOS Ra is so good for framing, short 5 sec shots at high ISO easily show the two galaxies, was a matter of rotating the frame to fit them in, happily a good guidestar was also in view of the guide cam.

11 x 15 mins ISO 400. 10 inch f5.6 newtonian. I was amazed to see the subs still quite dark. Did 11 before I started nodding off (Id ran in and come 3rd overall in the Maitland River Run Half Marathon that morning, so had been a big day, happy to cap it off with some astroimaging.

Must better shots about but Im really happy to pull this off from such a suburban location where transparency and seeing are usually ordinary at best, and with a 1986 vintage telescope and mount. All hand guided. So nice to see a small stable guidestar too.

Still had issues with gradients which make themselves known when pushing to bring out faint stuff. Not perfect could probably tweak it some more.
calibrated in IRIS finished off in Photoshop
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (n40384027x11x15miniso400ra10incoldflatfins.jpg)
156.8 KB116 views
Click for full-size image (n40384027x11x15miniso400ra10incoldflatfin2.jpg)
172.0 KB163 views