View Single Post
Old 23-06-2012, 11:24 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes in my humble opinion that would be a great 1st scope , the f/8 (1200mm ) is a good lenght for both lunar/planetary and deep sky .
Just a word of caution .. ( there is always one or two ) , have you ever used an EQ mount like this one ? if not , expect a steep learning curve , they are not that hard to learn how to drive ,, but theres a lot to know before it becomes 2nd nature , eg . ballancing , meridian flip , setting up pionting south , levelling .. etc etc .
Its not hard to learn and it just takes lots of practice ( time ) to get them working at their best , and if not they can be a real pain in the neck ( literally ) .
If this all seens like to much to learn have you given the good old gardin viarity 150mm f/8 Dobsonion a thought ? same optics , no steep learning curve , you will be observing in no time , just place the mount on the ground , fit the tube and you are observing savings money that you can use for a few accessiories ? .
I am sure most would agree on the Dob route , and in the future a set of tube rings and an EQ mount so you can fit the tube on to an EQ mount ?
Thats my 2c worth , hope you enjoy what ever you descide , and please keep us informed as to what you decide.
Brian.