View Single Post
Old 31-12-2014, 01:46 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Apologies for those in NE Suburbs of Melb

Hi All,

I have just taken delivery of a secondhand SW Heritage 130p, which I believe will likely lead to a couple of weeks cloud cover in the North East suburbs of Melbourne, so apologies are in order.

That said, it's an impressive little dobsonian and I do hope that clear skies prevail!

Collimation from eyeballing seems ok, I have put my Orion cheshire into the foscuser but there is a large amount of slop between the edges of the focuser and the orion sight tube, so that when doing up the grub screws it moves the crosshairs about... not sure how i'm going to get past that but I suspect a couple of turns of electrical tape around the sight tube at the correct depth??

It was purportedly used twice. The condition seems fairly good, there's marking on the dovetail bar from it sliding against the grub screw, the primary seems crystal clear with a little dust hear and there, there is unfortunately a couple of little fingerprint smudges on the secondary mirror, which are thankfully to the outside edges of it so they can stay there for now, though they annoy me so I will probably prepare to clean it prior to collimation.

Apart from the included eyepieces, which are labelled super 25mm and super 10mm... I have a 15mm Bintel SuperView and a TMB Planetary II 6mm (which I believe might not be too good in this fast scope).

First target would be the moon, however I don't yet have a filter for it, so probably Orion.

Any suggestions?

I shall have to take it along to an ASV meet to get help on the colimation process, however I've looked at astro-baby's guide and whilst it seems straight forward enough, though it hasn't quite "clicked" yet.