View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 04:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I can give you some feedback on the CGX, the 25kg imaging version, not the L version. They are pretty much identical in terms of how they are made, but the L has a longer saddle, stronger tripod ,etc. Tripod is not an issue if your going to pier mount the head BTW. Very smooth mount, spring loaded worm, belt drive, some of them need checking on arrival as the factory has a bit of a rep for not setting the belt tension, and spring pull back range correctly. Once adusted it gives excellent guide performance.
I have experience with the 8" GSO RC, and like many owners , had issues with collimation precision and focuser slop. In the end I sold it because it required too much attention to get the setup correct. The 12" maybe very different. I think Paul H still has his, or maybe it was the 14", but he has spent some money improving it. Definitely a pier mount scope. The 10" Truss RC would be easier for you to handle and are on sale at Andrews at $3499. The 10" RC weighs 15.7kg, so would be ok on a good pier mounted EQ6, or on a standard CGX with more weight range for the extras.
Re the comments on the 8" f5 Newt, I can agree they are a nice scope as a general allrounder, I have one. You can rotate the tube so the camera hangs below the body, aligned with the counter weight bar, this can give you perfect balance in my experience.
I don't do traditional imaging anymore, as you know, mainly visual now but trying some EAA and planetary imaging this winter.
I am considering the new 10" GSO Truss Cassegrain, which are due in Australia in a few weeks. Slower than the RCs, at f12, but likely ok for planetary imaging, which is how i would use it. With a good high frame rate video stacking planetary camera, like the ASI294, it might be a great setup.
Regarding the GSO RC reducers, they take the RC f8 to f6.
If you want something really fast there is the larger RASA, but the filters (in shooting mono) are pretty expensive I believe. Ask Houghy about his experiences with that scope.

Last edited by glend; 08-03-2020 at 05:33 PM.