View Single Post
Old 21-01-2021, 10:29 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
It's funny you ask this question, as I sent an email to Don Pensack this arvo (he runs Eyepieces,Etc in the USA) regarding 100 degree eyepieces. I was asking for his opinion regarding the 21mm Ethos vs 20mm Stellarvue Optimus. He implied that the 21E is a better eyepiece, but couldn't say it was worth the 2x price tag. He also mentioned the 20mm APM XWA, which is apparently very similar internally to the Stellarvue and is also very good and only 1/3 the Ethos price. A few online comparisons suggest the APM is a very good eyepiece for the money. I use an ES 14mm 100 degree in my 20" dob and it's a very nice eyepiece. Thinking about a 20mm eyepiece in the future, maybe the APM.

I've been enjoying the ES 9,14 and 20mm 100 degrees for a few years now. If you love the 14 - you seriously would not be disappointed by the 20 mm. One caveat though is I use mine in my 12" F5, and even though I have the ES Coma corrector, I rarely use it these days. The field having some coma doesn't bother me in particular because my dob in not driven the object will always pass through the center of the field where correction is best.

Besides when its only at 75x mag with like 1.3 degrees field of view - objects aren't exactly flying through so a little nudge is easy to bring it back to center.