View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
jkrah
Total Newbie

Talking sw dob + DSLR - no mod required

Well I finally committed and purchased a T/Ring, Adapter and Barlow from AOE. Ordered Monday night and it was in my letter box when I got home from work on Thursday .. Thank heaps Raff!!

Looks like I'm lucky enough to not have to mod my dob..

I connected the camera directly (no Barlow) to my 1.25" EP adapter (sorry if I using the wrong terms - hopefully you get my drift).. and as many have found I could not get focus.. but I noticed that the 1.25" EP adapter actually unscrewed from the 2" EP adapter it was connected to .. and that screw thread was the same size as the T/Ring.. I connected the T/ring directly to this (ie no camera adapter or 1.25" EP adapter) and that bought me enough distance to get focus!! I am so happy about no mod req'd!!

Its probably an obvious thing to check, but being a newbie I feel lucky I stumbled across this.. maybe some other dob newbies might find this helpful..

I wasn't so lucky with EP projection.. as none of my EPs actually fit into the camera adapter ..

Next I tried my new (cheap) 3x barlow.. results (for the moon at least) were pretty well what I expected.. yes heaps bigger but also a bit blurrier .. Sill Im hoping the barlow will come in useful with the webcam..

Next steps.. stepping up a notch and using the Samson..
Anyone got any tips balancing a 10" dob (with camera) on a samson mount ? Im thinking it may be a 2 person job..

anyway heres what I got... (unprocessed)
1 - no barlow, 1/320 sec @iso200
2 - 3x barlow , 5 sec @iso800 (Inspiration to setup the mount!!)
3 - 3x barlow, 1/40 sec @iso800
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_0228_resize.JPG)
135.0 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0271_resize.JPG)
177.0 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_0266_resize.JPG)
116.2 KB26 views