View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 06:27 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Hmm, is it really an upgrade. I am sure a few people have questioned the decision after the fact. When you get to 12" your getting to the point of complexity in transportation, maneuvering at home, storage etc. I went to a 16" from a 12" and it became much harder, especially getting to and from dark site trips, and space required at home. Sure we all love the views, but age gets all of us, and that increase in aperture loses some attraction pretty quick (you simply get used to it) and where do you go from there.
I think it's a pretty normal trajectory to go up in size, but it's also pretty normal to go back, to save your back.
As far as a "scope to retire with" mentioned below, many factors will affect the useability of that scope, your health, vision, etc all impacted by age. It's a fact that you do not realise till you get there, so prepare to have your plans changed by circumstances.
And there is always EAA through a good sized refractor on an EQ mount. You would be surprised how much brighter a view you will get through real time video frame stacking with Sharpcap in a smaller scope, than plain old eye ball observation through a big Dob.
I appreciate your words of wisdom Glenn! I'm 41 at the moment and in good physical condition, but you are right, father time catches up with all of us.I just crave a bit more light By the way are you Glenn Dawes from Astronomy yearbook fame?? Thank you for your good advice.