View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 12:26 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
All sorts of things can cause this Leon.

You need to work out what's causing it to fix it.

There may be a an error code on the screen. If so, check that on the Microsoft website.

My computer did it for ages. It turned out it was the CPU getting hot (sometimes it would fail without the Blue Screen of Death as well). I fixed it by replacing the finned CPU cooler with a water cooler, but in hind sight probably only needed to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler. After the event I found out that the thermal paste dries out over time, and it is recommended that it is replaced every 2 years. Who ever heard of that?

No idea if a hot CPU is the problem you have, but if you want to check it, I used Speccy software. CPU should run <50°C higher then that may be a problem.

Al.
+1

Mine is doing this lately. I have set an audible alarm in the BIOS for CPU temp limit. The fan on the CPU was spinning very slowly. A bit of a dust clean and a spray of lubricate on the fan bearing and it is fine for another year (same thing happened last year). I know, probably needs new paste too but I risk zapping the CPU. I have taken the side of my case off and run a 30cm floor fan directly onto the case. Alarm goes away and stays away almost immediately.

It is an old 2.4GHz Quad Core from 2008 but still does what I need it to do. Much faster now with SSD as my boot drive and runs Windows 10 pro without a problem with 4GB RAM.

The BSOD QR code and message from Microsoft tells me page fault in a particular file but that is expected if the CPU shuts down. Doesn't really give a clue as to what may be causing it. Setting the temp alarm certainly helped me pinpoint the problem in my case.