View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 09:25 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
I think it is better for the worm to remain engaged on the same face of the ring gear and be exerting pressure to rotate the ring gear so the mount moves from east to west. You achieve this by balancing east heavy regardless of which side of the meridian you are pointing.

If you balance west heavy the worm needs to release pressure from the ring gear to permit the scope to move west. It will likely result in stick/slip movement and poorer tracking.

It is also better to be east heavy than neutral balance as you don't want the worm swapping between the two faces of the ring gear as the scope moves. There will always be some backlash in the Skywatcher EQ mount worm drives and this will be influencing tracking in RA if the worm is not working against one face of the ring gear.

Happy to be corrected if anyone sees it differently.

Correct !!
I’m not a mechanical engineer but I just looked at a mounts worm gear in operation on a video clip and since it drives in the same direction the leading edge remains the same and therefore any additional pressure applied by the ring gear ( caused by east heavy balance ) to keep the gears meshed at a constant pressure improves efficiency of motion.
So slightly east heavy will work east to west across Ra
Happy to be corrected as well
Thanks