View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 AM
kjassi

Help buying my first telescope?

Hi,

Very much hoping you may be able to offer some advice or point me in the right direction.

I’ve had little experience with telescopes in the past but am now looking to purchase my first (well second but I broke the first one). I know there are a lot of articles and advice online but the more I read the more I seem to get confused.

I think my requirements are fairly basic, but again, happy to take advice here. I live in Sydney, Australia, out of the city where it’s fairly dark and not light polluted. Although this is where I would most use my telescope, I’d also be keen to take it away with me as I get out and about a bit, therefore the telescope needs to be able to be transported. Don’t mind if I need to take extra care and it’s a little heavy as it's only ever be in the car around remote Sydney. Having seen some of the potable ones, I feel I’d be sacrificing quality for the portable and convenience element.

I also would the functionality whereby the telescope is able to identify objects for me, computerized mount I believe its called. I’m confident over time I will find my way across the skies but for now, all the help I can get I’ll take. I understand that some of these can be difficult to set initially (locating 3 bright objects etc) so any advice also welcomed.

Next, I’ve recently been given a Canon 60D digital SLR camera that I’m having a lot of fun with. I’ve seen some amazing astrophotography, which I’d eventually like to dabble in, therefore, telescope must be able to work with a digital camera.

As for what I would like to see. As much as possible. Naturally, I’ll start with the basics of the moons and planets, but I’d love t have the capability to extend well beyond that as I gain more experience and become more confident.

I’ve had a good look at the following so far, NEXSTAR 4SE, NEXSTAR 130, & SKYPRODIGY 130. All look great and I think that the NESTAR 130 would best suit me, but not sure.

As for budget, I’m looking to spend up to AUD$1,000. But this is where I become a little more confused. The 4SE for example, looking at respected sellers on ebay can range from $999 (from Australia) or $600 (delivered from the US). Understand price varies but for a $400 saving, leaning towards US. Anything I should be aware off? Looks too good to be true.

Having recently entered the beautiful and amazing world of the skies, I appreciate that my questions may seem very basic. With a little help from you and getting the right telescope, I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions that will get you thinking.

Appreciate you taking the time to read and appreciate any advice.

Regards,
kjassi