View Single Post
Old 27-01-2022, 04:24 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
G’day Mike. Each option has its merits but I am looking to either:
A buy a small block within driving distance of home where I can set up my van for a week or so around new moons; or
B. move house to a wholly new location with dark enough skies to enable a permanent obs setup; or
C. give the whole bloody thing away and ossify.

At the moment, I’m becoming seriously negative about all the $$ and effort I have invested in this pursuit for such persistently miserable returns.

I don’t want to chuck it in because it keeps my brain running (after a fashion) and I know that I would quickly become a very unhappy chappie without the stimulus.

Peter
Well as far as option A goes and if being able to build a legal dwelling on the land is not important to you, then I am sure that will be an easy search. During our 4 year search that eventually lead to Eagleview, we came across many suitable and very affordable plots of land around the Canberra-Cooma-Yass-Braidwood-Goulburn region that came without a building entitlement, that would have been perfect for erecting a small observatory on, going off grid and parking a caravan or Tiny home on to do astro. In our case however if it were land only we were looking at, we felt we wanted a building entitlement to allow us to build a home (wife wasn't keen on having it all 100% for me and my Astronomy ...and fair enough too : ) and this elevated the price significantly.

So, if you and yours are on similar pages, I think you will have no problems finding something and very affordable

Good luck with your search

Mike