View Single Post
Old 16-05-2021, 02:15 PM
astrojase
beam me up

Aurora Australis G3 geomagnetic storm!

Another CME arrived at Earth on Friday May the 13th - it was stunning to watch! One of the strongest I've seen. I have also never seen the sky as red as it was in my images afterwards, I actually thought I'd messed up my settings, but it was there! They call it SAR or Stable Aurora Red - it was so extensive even my ultra wide at 15mm (110 degree FOV) couldn't fit it all in...

Got a bit artistic with this image, cropped in (which I don't like doing, defeats the purpose of an ultra wide!) but it came out nice enough.

This was 30 second exposure at ISO3200 wide open at f/2.8 using a Nikon D750 and through a Tamron 15-30mm lense.

I was on my way down to my favourite viewing spot to set up but lady Aurora started dancing though my windscreen! So I pulled over on the side of the road and started shooting, this shot was taken about 5 minutes away from Tinderbox boat ramp in Southern Tasmania.

From all reports, she was naked eye and clearly visible from Victoria maybe even parts of NSW!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AURORA MAY 2021 30mm experiement-1 iceinspace resized.jpg)
188.5 KB48 views

Last edited by astrojase; 17-05-2021 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo