View Single Post
Old 15-07-2022, 11:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Wonderful image Peter.

There was one notable critic on DP Review astro forum that would never miss an opportunity to say there is excess bluing which occurs in Photoshop when light levels dim - bluing occurs.

His images were often very yellow and unpleasant so no doubt the blue effect is prettier. But is it accurate? Are there really that many blue stars which as I understand it means young and hot stars?

What are your thoughts on this?

He was against using auto white balance but I found using daylight white balance as he suggested gave ugly excessively yellow images.

Hard to say what's right and wrong as some people may not perceive all colours equally well.

But there must be data about what % of stars are blue in the Milky Way.

Greg.
You've raised some very interesting points, in particular...what colour is the Milky Way?

However, I quickly established that Photoshop's debayering is not that flash.

I actually aligned stacked the RAW images using Pixinsight which I think de-bayers and preserves the dynamic range of the data far better than PS CC.

Another problem with super-wide images is natural skyglow.....not so evident here, but I also have full-frame
circular fisheye data from the same session that shows, near the horizon, significant airglow (red) in the west, and a greenish tinge in the east.

I expect as we head slowly toward solar maximum getting a truly dark night from horizon to horizon will be a rarity.

In all cases however, many stars away from the central bulge looked blue, hence I think it's real.