View Single Post
Old 09-03-2022, 09:21 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

March 9th, 8.00am

Today, I put a towel over my head, and looked through my solar filter with my naked eye and spied the large spot in Region 2960. It is currently 'face-on' being near the center of the solar disc, so there will never be a better time to see it.

Besides the large spot, Region 2960 has a chain of small/tiny spots leading to a pair of small/medium spots of the far end. Though on the small size, they have a common penumbra.

As speculated yesterday, the new Region 2964 has been designated and yesterday's small spots are now medium sized. The nearby Region 2963 continues to only have small spots.

In the South-West, Region 2957 still has a medium-sized spot plus a large amount of faculae trailing off towards the Limb.

Northern Region 2962 has shrunk into just the one small spot.

However, on the North-Eastern Limb, an unnamed group of four sizable spots has appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averton View Post
Hi Bob,

We too find the classification and numbering of new regions very interesting... .
I did read that spots some ten degrees apart are normally, but not always designated as separate Regions. Thanks for your other info: I will check it out.