Thread: Metal Prints
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2021, 01:06 AM
glend (Glen)

I have used Print2Metal in Melbourne a few times and they are stunning. Obviously the resolution of your image file is a determinant for the final outcome. Print2Metal accept large RAW files, and use a file exchange service to upload to them. Remember, any flaws in your image are going to be more noticable in an enlargement, careful cropping can help if you have field curvature, star bloat, coma, etc. Don't print bad files.
Two things to remember, first, and this is true with any print, you have to remember when you see an image on your computer screen, it is backlit; metal prints are usually pure white coated aluminium and this gives great base for your image, but for best results a picture or gallery light directed at your image is ideal. A brighter image field will always pop better than a dark star field; objects like Eta C, Tarantula, etc are great as images, thin veil nebulae etc not so great. That said I have a great photo of the Witches Broom, so it depends on the strength of your object data too.
Secondly, yes they can be costly (compared to paper), especially when you pick a large format size. Think carefully about what size you need, how you will hang it, lighting, etc before you order. I have used max 11x14s and I am happy with that. The border you select can affect the cost. A good option for several photos is to create a gallery style wall in your house, where A ceiling mounted light bar can have beams directed at each image.
Have fun.