Thread: Going Solo
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2021, 09:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
The one that must be obeyed has issued me with strict instructions to tidy up my office, and toss out old tax files, work memos, magazines etc.

While sorting it all I discovered the attached WAC chart (World Aviation Chart) but this one had my very first pilot solo navigation exercise inscribed on it!!
(Jurassic circa 1978).

GPS had not been invented then. Memories of navigating by map, compass, time and 1 in 60 rules came flooding back.....sigh...

In this digital age, I am curious to know whether anyone still uses aviation charts and the like. If so, in what context?

Gawd, my instructing time with SQ sure made me see both Pingelly and Cunderdin more than a few hundred times (and half those cadets still managed to get lost going out over the escarpment...tress heavens forbid, something Singaporeans don't see a lot of LOL)

One of my favourite memory of those years was taking over from a cadet, pulling the power, rapid decent and superbly execute short field landing at Beverley so I could take a wizz by the trees...then getting back in - my aeroplane still, demonstrating true STOL departure at max angle...(which isn't that impressive in a C172 LOL). Or the time in the training area watching a negative ground speed (GPS and observed) as I held it just above the stall at full flaps showing the cadet it was possible to not only imitate a helicopter, but to fly backwards too (strong sea breezes as I am sure you remember Peter).

On one of my last sorties there, a fast building CB came off Rottnest and all cadets were recalled solo post-haste. I was out with a cadet so took over as the crosswind was rapidly increasing. Asked the tower for wind calls all the way down final so I could divert if absolutely necessary...just after I touched (kicked straight at the last second, no wing down technique), the tower said "Smart arse...that was a 18knot crosswind comp"... just a little above the school max for solo (10 knots) and a tad over the demonstrated max Xwind on the aircraft. Meh...several hundred hours on a Tiger Moth taught me what my feet are for.

Not a single day goes by that I don't miss it. Dream it still to this day, watch it out my window at home (not that there's much movement with COVID)

PS: my first solo NAVEX was YBAF-YTWB (OCTA via Lake Moogerah) - YTWB-Lake Moogerah-Park Ridge-YBAF - short one, diversion back to base due WX