View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 PM
furyz (Kristian)

Backfocus for Imaging with Baader Zoom

Hi Everyone,

Quick question regarding backfocus. I am looking to do some planetary imaging while leveraging my Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece to do eyepiece projection.

Took a look at the Baader documentation and I just want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly prior to buying the necessary adapters and extension tubes for correct back focus.

Baader documentation

Quote:
Camera bodies can be attached directly to eyepieces which are equipped with a T-thread. But
to get an image which is sharp even in the corners, the front of the T-ring should be placed in
a distance of 40 mm (full-frame camera), 30mm (APS-C) or 15mm (Micro 4/3) to the eyepiece.
I have a Celestron C6 and a Nikon D3100 (APS-C sized sensor). I have a Celestron T-ring for Nikon cameras (#93402) which gives me 55mm of focal length from the T-ring to the sensor.

The Hyperion Zoom has a 2" SC thread so I should be able to screw it directly into my OTA. From there I will need the Hyperion M43/T-2 adapter (#2958080). Given that my camera sensor size is APS-C, Baader says I will need 30mm of focal length from the eyepiece which I can get using two of the 15mm extension tubes (#1508154).

So my final optical train should be:

Celestron C6 Rear Cell -> Baader Hyperion Zoom -> Baader M43/T2 adaptor -> Baader 15mm + 15mm extension tube -> Celestron T-ring for Nikon -> Nikon D3100

Are there any factors that I am forgetting? Will screwing the zoom straight into the rear cell cause any problems? I am assuming the native backfocus on the Celestron C6 of 5" (132mm) is not going to be a factor at all here, as the Hyperion Zoom is the final optical element in the train.

Lastly, for those of you who have dabbled in eyepiece projection for planetary imaging, I would love your input on recommendations.