View Single Post
Old 27-06-2020, 06:19 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

QHY 183 MM gain and offset settings -your advice please

Hi all

After some deliberation and after considering the advice from people on this forum and CN I finally decided to go with a QHY 183M

I was able to take it it for a spin a couple of days ago. I used a Baader 7nm H alpha Filter so this was a narrow band imaging test.

I started with the recommended gain and offset of 8 and 11 respectively but could see no image preview in NINA or in SharpCap. I tried testing if this was an autostretch issue by tempting to plate solve a saved image but failed at these settings and various other test exposures in both NINA and also in All Sky Plate Solver.

Finally I cranked the gain up to 30- which is I understand Is well into the digital gain region and a big no-no ( from a thread in CN) , but was able to plate solve and grab an image but dark calibration was very poor with lots of amp glow residual and I suspect clipping in the shadows. I also tried Nebulosity 4 as capture software and again needed to crank up the gain quite a bit

Haven’t been able to take the system out again to try further because of weather but in the interim, I wonder if any one who uses this camera with a narrow band filter -ideally H alpha -would please share your settings?

if you are using SharpCap as well with this camera and a narrow band filter it would be good if you could share those settings as well- not sure if there is any reason the settings for NINA and SharpCap would be different but who knows.

thanks in advance

Narayan