View Single Post
Old 24-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Allan

For seeing solar eclipses you only need a white light filter. The Ha scopes are more for seeing prominences and surface features. You can't see prominences in white light but at least you can see the sunspots and granulation on the surface. A Baader solar continuum filter does help bring out the surface detail using a white light filter as David said.

For deep sky, you might like to buy a narrow band filter to help show more contrast in a range of nebulae. I use the Lumicon UHC filter. Other good ones are the DGM NPB and Astronomics UHC. Another useful filter to get after the narrow band type is the OIII filter. It has a narrower bandpass which increases the contrast even further. They work better at larger exit pupils, so use your wider field eyepieces.

As for eyepieces, I use TeleVue and really like them. You can't go wrong with a good set of TeleVue's. There are so many choices out there now, and lots of info if you search old threads here or on Cloudy Nights. You will find many cheaper options that also do very well. A good bit of advice I pass on is, if you can only afford one expensive eyepiece, get a focal length that is twice your f/ratio. So for you, around 10mm. That will provide a nice exit pupil that will work for a vast number of objects. So maybe start there, and then get a longer focal length, around 24mm to 26mm, and then go from there filling in the gaps as you like.