View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 08:16 PM
Efendy

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the suggestions and tips. Definitely many options out there and they are getting cheaper.

I agree fully that lifepo4 is the future. Lightweight, can be discharged to 100% DOD 2000 times, and safer than li ion.

Jackery is definitely a refined product. I'll keep an eye on that.

Bluetti is premium including the price! But big capacity and good features.

I wouldn't have expected such a good product from companion. That's another candidate for the watch list.

I have a large agm permanently attached to the 4by that is being charged by a dc-dc charger +solar. I need the portable battery only for the telescope and maybe for the beach etc. I have also invested in a few agm chargers in the past several years. Therefore, in the interim, yesterday I bought a 25ah agm for $55. I will put it in an ammo style box and add a few panel mounted accessories. Until I get a decent capacity lifepo4 box, I will discharge it to 30% DOD which should last me several years!
Cheers
Abdullah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
If they come back to Australia, a Jackery 500 is perfect. Also keep an eye out on Bluettipower.com.au, they should be bringing one of their Lithium batteries here shortly.

Me, I don't advocate for lead acid at all. They're heavy, cumbersome, have too many "quirks" when it comes to power and longevity compared to Lithium

I would choose either standard Li-ION like I mentioned above, or a LiFe-PO4 system, which you can build yourself using say a battery from Solarking or wait for Bluetti to release their LiFe-PO4 range here.

For what it's worth, I have
- Jackery 240. This is the main right that powers everything during the night
- Since 240 isn't enough juice, I top it up during the night with one (or more) of my LiFe-PO4 batteries: 12Ah, 15Ah and 20Ah. This is enough for two nights of shooting.

If you choose Li-ION, make sure it's a regulated unit to guarantee 12V power. If you choose LiFe-PO4, that spits out around 13V all the way to about 5% capacity so you're fine with that.

There's also an Aussie option at 40Ah, which uses LiFe-PO4 cells:
https://www.snowys.com.au/rover-lith...-power-station
I believe they also sell a 70Ah version.