View Single Post
Old 15-07-2021, 01:25 PM
Dave882 (David)

Hi Peter. Asi290 has good QE but the issue you will face will be FOV. If you jump on to astronomy.tools you will notice that the targets you can image will be limited. However- there’s still plenty you can do, and with either the 80mm or 127mm refractors , but would strongly suggest adding a reducer in the order of 0.5-0.7x. You will want to be sitting at f4ish with that size scope for short exposures and will also increase fov. It will kill your star field but the target probably will still be ok.

Also, with smaller aperture scopes You might struggle to get much data (even for eaa) with under 20sec. I found with a 4se I was playing with I needed to get 30sec subs to show good detail even in something bright like Orion Nebula (irrespective of integration time). Since you are on (I presume) the heq5 if you do an ok PA you shouldn’t have a problem. Just a note on using EQ mounts for EAA- you still need to do a half decent PA otherwise the tracking is actively working against you unless you limit to 5sec or under subs. Most Alt-Az mounts I’ve used handle up to 10-30sec subs fine.

Try a broadband LPF such as Astronomik UHC-e or similar. A narrow band filter such as l-extreme will be far to aggressive for your setup.

Hope some of that is helpful
Cheers
Dave