View Single Post
Old 14-07-2021, 10:27 PM
Dave882 (David)

Yes there’s huge potential for this short exposure live stacking. I think it lends itself well to alt-az mounts, and high sensitivity cameras but really will work for almost any setup. Don’t expect to get the same results as some of the top quality shots in this forum- but certainly good enough to be proud of and share with family and friends.

I found about 10-30sec subs are best with 20-30min integration- and with a UHC or dual band filter can get good definition on most targets even from the suburbs. When I shift to the next target I fiddle with the levels in PSexpress on my iPad and get a pretty decent result.

I use the ASIAIR pro live stacking but sharp cap will work the same with auto correction for field rotation and some degree of adjusting of contrast and white balance. The histogram slider can be used on the fly to focus on different areas of the target.

If using for strictly EAA then you can play with even more options. I’ve double and triple stacked reducers on my sct to get faster images, used different combinations of filters and sub lengths. It’s lots of fun when you’re not worrying too much about the star shapes!

One recommendation is that you want to be about f4-f7 on your scope to get the most out of 10sec!!

I’ve attached a couple of shots (Southern Pinwheel & Tarantula) with my cpc800 & asi294mc stacking 10sec subs for 30min integration. F4 with double stacked 0.63x reducers. No filters in these ones...but spent a few minutes to give a boost with PSexpress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (202E7B26-8C80-4A25-9141-BAA082A5E47D.jpg)
92.5 KB116 views
Click for full-size image (97E5830A-EFFE-4D0F-BBD3-E7F73C76A1C8.jpg)
227.9 KB123 views