View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Hi All, I can't say much re the use of film and digital for deepsky use - years ago I did plenty of deep sky film photography, but I've yet to experiment with digital on deep sky. For Lunar and Planetary photography, however, the two are like chalk and cheese. I can't count the amount of film frames I would have churned through years back to get a smudgy smear of Jupiter just showing the two most prominent bands. Contrast that to the spectacular images for Jupiter that are produced using digital webcams today. Better planetary images can be taken by a novice now on their first night out with a digital webcam than an old pro could with film could capture on a good night of seeing 20 years ago. That's not to say that web-cam imagery is not a skilled activity, just like film it is one where as the users skill-set and toolkit develops so does the detail and impact of the pictures produced - only need to take a peek at some of the images and techniques presented in the Solar System forum here to see that.

Film might or might not have a continuing role for deep sky photography, but for lunar and planetary I reckon it's bucket has been well and truly kicked!

cheers,