View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 04:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Hi Martin,

Ive got a skyshed pod and the HTPE can mean they get very hot, and the joins are not water tight without sealant on the joins.
Darwin gets very hot, very humid and very wet. The Pod has performed outstandingly so far. I track the internal temp and humidity with an Arlec smart sensor from Bunnings. Its not the most accurate.

Ive installed a portable AC (12000BTU). Which can cool and dehumidify. Its reasonably effective, given the air gaps in the pod design. I suspect a bigger unit will help cool/dehumidify the pod (and neigbourhood) a bit better. I use foam filler for the gaps which does improve performance significantly.

In addition I use
DampRid buckets from Bunnings
Desiccant caps for the scopes
Telegizmo standard cover (foil, thin and light) for the pier and scope.

Cheers
Hemi,
Thanks
We don’t have extreme humidity like the north , thankfully
My problem is not so much humidity, it’s the amount of rain bucketing down all day and night
My NexDome is water tight but even though it’s on a deck 400mm from ground level , there’s so much water hammering the Dome plus moisture in the air on the inside and around the dome edges on the deck , that something’s gotta give
I used waterproof silicon around the base on the outside , looks like I’m going to have to seal the inside as well
The air is so wet and clammy at the moment , bad week
It’s going take a few days for the inside floor of the dome to dry out
Long term I may have to fit a 150mm angled flashing around the exterior base of the Dome for this type of bad weather
Thankfully the gear inside is ok but mount and tripod legs are damp ( scope is dry )
Cheers