View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 04:46 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Gary,

A possible correction:

As I understand it Lawrence Hargrave came to Sydney Observatory in 1878 after his arrival from England a few years earlier.

I'd check your source on the info that he worked as an assistant at Red Hill. From my own earlier research (for an article I wrote for AS&T over a decade ago) Hargrave retired and resigned from Sydney Observatory in the early/mid-1880's after having come into his inheritance following the death of his father (who was a Barrister, MLC and Judge). Hargrave then moved to Stanwell Park to concentrate on the problems of constructing a heavier than air flying machine. His father owned (via government grant) most of what is now Stanwell Tops and Stanwell Park. The family "holiday house" is still there at Stanwell tops and Lawrence lived for some time there with his brother Ralph. He died in 1915 from peritonitis (following an appendix operation) shortly after his son Geoffrey was killed in action at Gallipoli.

Nearly all of Hargrave's work at Sydney Observatory concerned the re-measuring of John Herschel doubles found at the Cape Observatory which took several years. He worked mainly in the (then new) north dome with the 7" Merz refractor and discovered a small number of new pairs (most of which aren't terribly exciting or interesting) during the course of that project. Russell and Hargrave worked together in reducing and publishing that data and not long after, Hargrave left. Hargrave was also involved in the 1882 transit of Venus expeditions.

I am forced to speculate that a probable part of the reason behind his leaving was the somewhat aloof, abrasive, patrician and overbearing personality of Russell who, while an important and well-credentialled astronomer, was apparently an industrial-grade pain in the neck to work for (or with). It wasn't for naught that Russell was twice assaulted by workmen at the observatory and was once the subject of an attempted bombing by his employed messenger.

Then of course there is his (Russell's) well documented point-blank refusal to move out of the observatory after he had retired. He ended up continuing to live there rent free until he passed away from kidney disease a couple of years after he ceased work in 1905.

But, in the end, I don't think (actually I'm pretty certain) Hargrave ever worked at Red Hill -- it was well after his time at "The Obs".

Best,

L.