View Single Post
Old 14-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Renovation of a Manual EQ5-class Mount

I can't use a go-to mount, whether an alt-azimuth or equatorial. I have too many trees here upon the lay, although I do have access to most parts of the sky, through gaps, "portals", between same.

Only the northern part of the night sky is quite, rather, illuminated, and by a large city 25 miles or so away, but I do have a very nice, and useful, view of Polaris, the North Star, nonetheless...

Click image for larger version

Name:	north3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	279096

I like to observe the star on occasion, as it doesn't move.

There is also a considerable entertainment-venue to the west, about 10 miles away, but it's not nearly on the scale of a city; more like a small town. Just as well, as that's where everything sets.

The view to the east, where most everything rises, is free of light-pollution, as is the the southern view, save that of a neighbour just across the road...

Name:	south3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	279097

That's Orion hanging above those "insecurity" lights. I do not have such on my property, and no need.

My skies have been at about 4 to 5 on the Bortle scale, over the last 25 years, although it may be nigh to 6 these days, and most unfortunate.

I am a visual-observer, with eyepieces, only, but with the odd afocal-shot taken through an eyepiece on occasion. I do that to show those first starting out as to what they might expect in the way of performance with an entry-level telescope, like this long-focus(f/12.9) 70mm achromat...

Name:	kit.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	279098

Would that they did choose the longer-focus instruments, although I do have a few shorter. But I need a supportive mount for that endeavour, and now, I have one...

Name:	boxes7.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	279090

I got it for a song, also a dance, new old-stock, as a result of the fall-out after Orion(of California) acquired Meade last June, and from an eBay seller who has always seemed to be a liquidator for Meade products.

It is a Meade LX70 equatorial mount-head; identical to the Saxon EQ-5, the Sky-Watcher EQ-5, all three manufactured by Synta, and clones of at least the Vixen "Great Polaris".

The Meade mount-head compared to that of a Celstron CG-4(EQ3-class) that I had acquired in 2012, but never used...

Name:	LX70 vs CG-4c.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	279094

The Meade did not come with a tripod, but that of the Celestron is identical. I may have to pull even more parts off of the latter for the former, but perhaps not, yet they'll be there if needed.

Then, the mount-head will need motorising, the RA-axis only. I do have one of these 9V-battery powered gear-boxes...

Name:	7d.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	279095

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 14-08-2021 at 02:15 PM.