Thread: Sirius B?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 07:54 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Sirius B?

A nice outing last night on the Bortle 1-2 boundary with the 8" f/6 made for excellent maximum-exit pupil galaxy sweeping with the ES62°40. However the highlight of the night was what appears to be a good solid view of the Pup at 200x with a 6mm Fuji Abbe. I knew I had the optic dialled as confirmed by a star test and the position angle of the dim companion seemed correct, but I still thought (having split Antares with this instrument with considerably more effort), surely it can't be this easy. I mean the star was extremely faint compared to Sirius but was there all of the time. No intermittent in-and-out business. A quick look at Rigel confirmed though that the separation was similar to that of Rigel A and B if not slightly greater. So this might just have been my first visual of a white dwarf...

Edit: I note that if this object had been aligned with one of the diffraction spikes, there's almost no way I would have seen it. It was considerably fainter than the spikes at that distance from Sirius A.

Last edited by N1; 09-04-2021 at 08:06 AM.