View Single Post
Old 25-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I got an Hyperstar 3 for my C11 a long while ago before they made RASAs. From an imaging point the RASA is designed for that exactly. The hyperstar is a little trickier to use. Tilt can be an issue. Collimation is a bit awkward. It's heavier than a RASA. You need a solid dewshield to do calibration frames. You need a micro focuser for the primary. Other than that it's a fast system easy to use. You have to ask yourself how much imaging you're going to do vs. visual. If it's primarily imaging get a RASA. If not then a SCT with hyperstar is the way to go. Starizona is the place to get all the bits you need.

Thank you to all that have responded.

Marc, I'm still leaning towards the 925. Even though I plan on a lot of imaging, I also want the flexibility of imaging and visual, especially for planets.

My initial kit will be:
925 Edge HD
CGX mount
Celestron focuser
Celestron .7 reducer
Celestron Deluxe OAG

Second round will be:
ZWO ASI 174MM mini
ZWO ASI 294MC Pro

Third round is up in the air but might look like:
Either the Hyperstar V3 plus dew shield and other peripherals.

OR
an entirely separate wide field refractor.

I still like the idea of the Hyperstar. I'm hoping after a few months of ownership I'll be comfortable in colomating the scope, so the Hyperstar should be a non issue.

We'll see. I need to lock in stage one very soon as I'm about to pull the trigger on this baby.